Labor MP David Feeney resigns from parliament over dual citizenship


READ MORE

Federal Labor MP David Feeney has resigned from parliament after being unable to confirm if he is a dual citizen.


Mr Feeney said he had written to the Speaker of the House of Representatives on Thursday and his resignation was effective immediately.


He said he did not have sufficient paperwork to prove he had renounced his British citizenship a decade ago, inherited through his Northern Irish father.


Labor Member for Batman David Feeney

“I am unable to disprove that I am a dual citizen,” Mr Feeney, who held the marginal Victorian seat of Batman, said during a press conference on Thursday.


“I have spoken to my family and I have decided that I will not be seeking ALP preselection for this by-election.


“This has been an incredibly difficult decision but both my community and the Labor Party I love deserve a candidate that is able to give the months and the years ahead 150 per cent of their effort, their commitment and their passion.


“After careful reflection, I don’t believe I’m able to offer this. That tells me that it’s time for me to stand aside for a Labor candidate that can and will. It has been an honour for me to serve.”


One of the possible replacements being flagged for Mr Feeney is ACTU president Ged Kearney, who considered running for preselection in the seat in 2013.


The Australian Greens have already selected a candidate, Alex Bhathal.


However, she is reportedly the subject of an internal complaint by party members over her lack of support for local Greens councillors.


– with AAP


Article source: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/sbsnews-topstories/~3/KaEsLaRT4Ss/same-sex-marriage-bill-no-voices-take-senate-floor-flag-amendments

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Styles Unfollows His Keyboardist, Who Defended A Man Charged With Rape, & Fans Cheer

One Nation's Malcolm Roberts wants migration rate more than halved

World Cup Central: Dhoni, Akhtar, Botham in All Blacks all-time cricket XV