'It's hot as hell and we need water, fuel, food and medical supplies'


READ MORE

I don’t know the area, there’s barely a phone signal, and it seems, no way to reach the affected areas. Almost out of hope, I chat with a man waiting at the airport who finds himself in the same situation. He’s pretty quiet, but I establish that he lives in Sigi, to the south of Palu, but he can’t contact his family to arrange for them to pick him up.


After almost another 30 minutes, his nephew appears – he’d taken the innitiative to pick up his uncle, knowing he was coming home that day.


I ask if I can hitch a ride. He says sure, but is still very sombre. In the car after learning I am a journalist, he tells me he can’t take me into the city of Palu as that’s not where he is going.


When I keep saying “Palu” and “Donggala” (to the north of Palu), the nephew becomes agitated, and asks “Why do you want to cover just Palu and Donggala, Sigi is hit hard too”.


The severe devastation in Sigi to the south of Palu.

The severe devastation in Sigi to the south of Palu.


Photo: Amilia Rosa

Article source: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/sbsnews-topstories/~3/oetxxBnX7mM/first-hijab-wearing-barbie-honour-us-fencer-ibtihaj-muhammad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Styles Unfollows His Keyboardist, Who Defended A Man Charged With Rape, & Fans Cheer

One Nation's Malcolm Roberts wants migration rate more than halved

World Cup Central: Dhoni, Akhtar, Botham in All Blacks all-time cricket XV