Senate President Stephen Parry reveals he may be a dual citizen


READ MORE

Senate President Stephen Parry has become the eighth politician caught up in the dual citizenship saga and could be about to resign.


The Liberal senator believes he may be a British citizen following the High Court decision on some of his colleagues.


“I have had cause to examine my citizenship status in relation to my late father having being (sic) born in the United Kingdom,” Senator Parry said in a statement on Tuesday. 


Senator Parry sought advice from British authorities on Monday inquiring into the status of his citizenship.


“This was the first opportunity to do so since the High Court ruling,” he said.


“In the event that I am found to hold British citizenship by virtue of my father’s status, then I will clearly be in breach of Section 44(I) of the Constitution and would therefore resign as President of the Senate. 


“I would further resign as a Senator for the state of Tasmania and not await the outcome of any referral to the High Court, as I believe the High Court has made it abundantly clear what action is required.”







The High Court has handed down its decision on the fate of seven current and former parliamentarians, caught up in a scandal over dual citizenship.


Senator Parry’s father moved to Australia from the UK in 1951. 


“I have always regarded my late father as Australian, particularly as he undertook his national service and participated as a member of the Australian Army Reserve and voted in every Australian election since adulthood.”


In his maiden speech, Senator Parry said he was ‘Tasmanian by birth and come from a line of many generations of Tasmanians’.


“In fact, I am a descendant of the First Fleet convicts who arrived on 26 January 1788 onboard the ships the ‘Scarborough’ and the ‘Prince of Wales’,” he said back in August 2005.


“I left home at the age of 16 – much to the joy of my mother, I think – joining the Tasmanian police force as one of their youngest ever recruits.


“After 10 years as a police officer I became a funeral director, eventually buying the long-standing family business with my wife, Allison.”



Article source: http://smh.com.au/wa-news/albany-woman-crashes-car-into-aged-care-units-kitchen-20170924-gynnep.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Styles Unfollows His Keyboardist, Who Defended A Man Charged With Rape, & Fans Cheer

One Nation's Malcolm Roberts wants migration rate more than halved

World Cup Central: Dhoni, Akhtar, Botham in All Blacks all-time cricket XV